This past year has left a host of interesting developments in the Dominican Republic’s hotel industry, which exceeds 65,000 rooms, by far the highest in the region.
The following are some of the top highlights of the hotel industry in the D.R. during 2015: opening of the all-inclusive luxury hotel Emotions in the Juan Dolio area, a tourism enclave situated 45 minutes east of the capital city of Santo Domingo; the Viva Wyndham Resorts chain introduced its adults-only “V Collection” brand, and Club Med in Punta Cana added the adults-only “Zen Oasis” area, featuring 78 rooms.
- A new hotel facility in the Juan Dolio beach community, situated 20 minutes east of Las Americas International Airport.
- Two all-inclusive Viva Wyndham Resorts with the launching of its new adults-only brand “V Collection.”
- Club Med, in Punta Cana, recently added the adults-only “Zen Oasis” area, with 78 rooms.
- Now Garden Punta Cana is an all-inclusive 180-room facility featuring four restaurants, three bars, a teen’s club, bowling alley. Also, access to the Now Larimar Punta Cana Hotel’s six restaurants, seven bars, lounges. The Now Larimar Punta Cana is situated next to the Garden Punta Cana.
- The Luxury Bahia Principe Samana, from the Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, was recently renovated and re-launched as an adults-only all-inclusive facility. The 149 room facility features a swimming pool, four bars, three restaurants, butler service, and 24-hour room service.
The “V Collection” Brand
The Viva Wyndham Resorts chain opened two adults-only, all-inclusive hotels, one in Puerto Plata and the other in Samana – both on the country’s north coast. In both facilities the hotel chain introduced its very own “V Collection” brand.
The “V Heavens” is located on the grounds of the Playa Dorada Resort in Puerto Plata, and is an all-inclusive 190-room facility with swimming pool, jacuzzi, spa, gymnasium, cigar shop and lounge. Also, 24-hour/7 days a week room service; the V Kitchen buffet restaurant; four a la carte restaurants; a beach snack bar, and the nearby Playa Dorada golf course designed by the famous Robert Trent Jones.
The “V Samana” is located in Las Terrenas, one of the north coast’s most beautiful beaches. The 144-room hotel was built on the beautiful Bay of Coson and offers guests a swimming pool, Jacuzzi, an air-conditioned gym, natural spa, jogging track, and lounge/ cigar shop, and kayak tours.
The Latest in Juan Dolio
The Dominican-based Hodelpa hotel chain opened the Emotions Beach Resort in Juan Dolio, the tourism enclave situated 30 minutes east of Las Americas International Airport in Santo Domingo. The 293-room facility is currently in its first construction phase. The second phase will add an additional 341 rooms. The hotel’s adults-only area has 74 rooms; a family-oriented area, and facilities for the business traveler. In addition, the hotel provides guests with the Essentia VIP area, situated right on the pristine beach, with 60 additional rooms and access to a private swimming pool.