Santo Domingo offers national and international guests an excellent list of hotels from which to choose from.
Most importantly, Santo Domingo offers visitors not only excellent hotel accommodations, but an exciting nightlife and top-quality restaurants.
Restaurants abound in the capital city, specifically along George Washington Avenue, the Caribbean’s most beautiful seaside boulevard; in the Colonial Zone, declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, or in the very heart of Santo Domingo, where shopping malls, restaurants and bars abound.
Below is a selection made by the Access team, in consultation with 10 tour operators and tourism experts, regarding Santo Domingo’s hotel offers:
1. Occidental El Embajador (278 rooms). Situated in one of Santo Domingo’s most centrally-located avenues, this hotel is just steps away from international and national banks, trendy shopping malls and restaurants and nightclubs. It features, by far, the capital city’s hotel with the most impressive gardens and pool. It is one of the city’s most distinguished hotels, featuring seven meeting rooms, lobby bar, pool bar, café, restaurant and Executive Floor (www.occidentalhotels.com).
2. Hostal Nicolas de Ovando (104 rooms). Situated on “Calle Las Damas,” one of the oldest in the Americas, this hotel is the Colonial Zone’s most important facility. The hotel offers modern and fully-equipped rooms and facilities in one of the oldest buildings in the New World. It is a member of the exclusive Accord Hotels MGallery Collection. Features a pool, bar and restaurant (www.accorhotels.com).
3. Barceló Santo Domingo (217 rooms). This hotel is situated on Maximo Gomez Avenue, one of the city’s most important north-south boulevards. It is the most centrally located hotel in all of Santo Domingo, featuring eight meeting rooms, executive floor, bar with live music, casino, café, buffet restaurant and cigar shop (www.barcelo.com.
4. Magna 365 (245 rooms). Overlooking the majestic Caribbean Sea, on the city’s seaside boulevard, the Magna 365 offers guests nine meeting rooms, lobby bar, restaurant, café, buffet restaurant, cigar shop, casino, executive floor and a pool area that overlooks the sea (www.hotelmagna365.com).
5. Hilton Santo Domingo (228 rooms). Also on the Malecon, or city’s seaside boulevard, the 21-floor Hilton Hotel features a 670-square meter ballroom, lobby bar, pub, restaurant, shops and executive floor. Next to it is a modern plaza with casino, cinemas, restaurants and many other services (www.hilton.com/Santo-Domingo).
6. Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo (227 rooms). This facility, also on the Malecon, features sea-view rooms, 14 meeting rooms, café, restaurant, bar and an event-planning service (www.ichotelsgroup.com).
7. Renaissance Jaragua Hotel & Casino (288 rooms). Also, on the Malecon, this hotel offers “all inclusive” packages and public spaces for smokers. It features a main hall (23,360 square meters, with staff for large events), casino, sports bar, restaurant, spa and a wonderful swimming pool surrounded by a plush garden (www.marriott.com / Renaissance).
8. Dominican Fiesta Hotel & Casino (298 rooms). Situated on the city’s western edge, in an exclusive neighborhood, the hotel overlooks the beautiful six-mile Mirador Park. Its convention center comfortably holds 2,500 guests. It also features a rooftop bar, lobby bar, restaurant, swimming pool, casino and shops (www.palladiumhotelgroup.com).
9. Hotel Santo Domingo (215 rooms). Also on the Malecon, the hotel also overlooks the Caribbean Sea and offers five meeting rooms, a Spanish-style courtyard, heliport, bar, swimming pool and garden café, restaurant, executive floor and tennis courts (www.hotelsantodomingo.com.do).
10. Holiday Inn (179 rooms). Modern and cozy, situated on Abraham Lincoln Avenue, in the very heart of Santo Domingo, the hotel is walking distance from shopping malls, trendy restaurant and entertainment centers (www.holidayinn.com)