Jazz is now an important part of Santo Domingo’s nightlife. From Monday to Friday various Santo Domingo restaurants, hotels and clubs offer special jazz programs featuring prominent local musicians. Jazz lovers have various venues where they can enjoy the best music in town. An example is the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando, one of the colonial zone’s most important hotels. Another possibility is the bar at the Dominican Fiesta Hotel, situated on the top floor of this popular hotel, situated on the city’s western section. The bar provides an impressive view of the country’s capital city. Also in the colonial zone is “Casa de Teatro,” home to one of the country’s oldest summer jazz festivals.
Jazz lovers should keep the following schedule in mind:
- “Jazz en Dominicana” -Casa de Teatro, Mondays at 9:00 p.m. A different jazz group is featured every week. During the months of June and July “Casa de Teatro’s Jazz Festival” becomes the haven for true jazz enthusiasts.
- Tuesdays “Tertulia del Jazz” – Place: Prime Moments Wine Bar, Calle El Numero #2. Ciudad Nueva, 8:30 p.m. (In downtown Santo Domingo, near the most important hotels situated in the Malecon, the city’s seaside boulevard. Phone (809) 333-6917.
- “Jazz a la Carte” – Fellini Restaurant, Wednesdays, 8:00 p.m. – Featuring a new jazz group every week. Roberto Pastoriza Avenue #504. Phone (809) 335-5464
- “Jazzy Thursdays” – Every Thursday from 6:00-10:00 p.m. – Calle Las Damas (in the colonial section) Hostal Nicolas de Ovando – Swimming Pool Area – Gustavo Rodriguez (Piano) and Rubiel Cabrera (saxophonist). Phone (809) 685-9955.
- “WOK Restaurant” – Thursdays – 9:00 p.m. – Wednesdays and Thursdays the CLP Group delights audiences with their very own brand of jazz. Rómulo Betancourt Ave. Phone (809) 621-3838.
- “Sunset Jazz Festival” – Dominican Fiesta Hotel & Casino, Friday at 7:00 p.m. – Phone (809) 562-8222.